Monday, October 20, 2008

why i love google!

About 6 weeks ago, the passenger-side automatic sliding door on our van stopped working. Put simply, with three boys, that was a pain! I've been dreading taking it to the dealership for fear of an astronomical repair bill. Something in me always likes to say, "I can fix it myself and save hundreds!" Well, tonight, I had to move the van in our driveway, which brought on the other major annoying side effect of the door not working. For some reason, even with it closed, it didn't send a signal, so the warning buzzer constantly sounds whenever you put the van into gear.

So, tonight, I decided it was time to fix it. I did a simple google search and lo and behold, I found a forum of threads all discussing this very topic. I read on about the $999 bill from one dealership, the $150 diagnostic fee from another, and so on. Needless to say, I was not excited and quite discouraged. UNTIL...until I found a posting from "Steve" whose only advice in the forum was to remove a specific fuse (clock backup, mind you) for 30 seconds, then replace it. What followed were dozens and dozens of happy satisfied people who found this post and it worked! Loaded with excitement, I ran outside, pulled the fuse, waited, put it back in and........nothing.

Dejected, I went back inside, as if I had overlooked something. I read it again. I hadn't missed anything, so I figured maybe it was the wrong amp fuse or something. So, back out I went, opened the fuse box cover, checked to make sure I had the right one, and realized that I was off one. So, I found the correct #13 fuse, pulled it, waited, put it back in, and YES!!!! My van door works again!

Who's the man? Who's the man? Who's the man? (Repeat lyric in your head with a syncopated rhythm while imagining me doing the cabbage patch). It's a great night!

No comments: